Tuesday, April 12, 2011

faith and school: strengths finder


not long after i moved to wisconsin, my pal alicia wanted to try and make me cool...so she made me take the strengths finder assessment. i was a little disappointed by results because they seemed...well...super nerdy. but i knew my strengths, and that allowed me to speak the official crusade language, which was all that really mattered at the time.

i didn't really think very much about my strengths after that, but a few weeks ago, a student and i were talking. guess what topic came up? oh, strengths finder. woot. so i dug through my emails and reread the descriptions of all my strengths...and was blown away by how well they fit the woman i am and the path that i am on right now.

here they are, with bits and pieces of the description...you tell me if i am living and working out of my strengths or not:

strategic: this perspective allows you to see patterns where others simply see complexity. mindful of these patterns, you play out alternative scenarios, always asking, 'what if?' this helps you see around the corner, evaluate potential obstacles, and start to make selections.

learner: you will always be drawn to the process of learning. the process, more than the content or the result, is especially exciting for you.

intellection: you like to think. you are the kind of person who enjoys your time alone because it is your time for musing and reflection.

developer: you see the potential in others. in your view, no individual is fully formed. when you interact with others, your goal is to help them experience success. you look for ways to challenge them. signs of growth in others are your fuel.

belief: you have certain core values that are enduring; these values give your life meaning and satisfaction. your work must be meaningful; it must matter to you.

what about you? if you've taken strengths finder, what are your strengths? are you living in them?

3 comments:

  1. i heart strengths quest. it always catches me off guard because i think it has a way of articulating our values and our approach to others. i love being a developer, there is something so fun about it. you are able to constantly speak truth about the potential and ability of others.

    i can see how each of these has played a role in your life and will continue to play a role.

    and i'm okay with the nerdiness.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my strengths are:
    context
    input
    developer
    harmony
    positivity

    but you knew that already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the record I already thought you were cool. Just wanted to see the inner-workings of my then-new, now-old friend, Holly. :)

    ReplyDelete