Monday, February 7, 2011

devotional thought: in the midst of migraines

i've been sick for a few weeks now, and the past couple of days have taken an interesting turn. i have a cough...which, by itself, would not be so bad. but i am also *wildly* prone to migraines and sinus infections. so this cough has become a sort of vicious beast--to the point where i will stop what i am doing so i can hold my head in both hands while i cough. there is so much pressure that it feels like bad things will happen if i don't hold on.

i don't really feel like being around people or reflecting on my spiritual development when i feel this way. i don't have any desire to sit at work, stare at a computer screen, or pay attention in class.

it can be quite problematic.

i'm currently huddled on the floor of a room, tucked in the corner so my back and head are both supported. i'm sure it's an odd sight for anyone walking by.

my days are fairly scheduled out so that i stay on task--blog, homework, coffee dates with students, etc. but when i feel like this, my body says, 'NO.'

no filling each spare moment.

no trying to get ahead.

no super intentional conversations with classmates.

just stop.


***
you know, i don't think sickness and pain are punishment--i think they're a byproduct of a sinful world. and the more i contemplate my case, i am coming around to the thought that God uses my migraines as a gift.

[i am a bad recipient of gifts. especially this kind.]

in my life, migraines tend to be less-than-gentle reminders that i cannot do everything on my own, that i am weak despite my posturing, and that being still and resting is a very holy thing to do.

my beloved is most certainly here in the midst of my migraines.

where have you experienced God in your midst lately?

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Where to begin? This whole Spain ordeal...it's really quite amazing just the things that have worked out and all the things I can see God has done through it. I would love to sit down and tell you all about it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! i want to sit down and talk with you! deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't lay down in the Green Pasture, HE will Maketh you to lie down in Green Pastures. I hate when he Makeths me to lie down in green pastures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha. i'll show you green pastures.

    ReplyDelete